Application for Graduate Program in Environmental Science

I hereby submit my application for the aforementioned graduate program.

I am interested in environmental issues and have been involved in numerous environmental conservation and preservation projects in my community.

I have gained valuable information on environmental issues from these projects and training sessions that have enabled me to sensitize my community on importance and ways of conserving the environment.

The fact that more than 15 million hectares of tropical forest are destroyed every year thereby emitting millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere reveals that environmental matters are not given the priority they deserve. Tropical forests are disappearing at a rate of 5 every decade as a result of agricultural, timber, and road expansion. And by 2050, the Amazon in Brazil will be gone. 
Forests are the most significant carbon reservoir, playing an invaluable role in curbing greenhouse gas emissions and they contain more than 75 of all carbon stored in vegetation.If not addressed, this over exploitation of forests will cause untold suffering to the entire human populace.

The challenging experiences and awareness of complexities involved in environmental matters have resulted in my desire to enroll in this program to increase my knowledge in this field, continue my academic endeavors, and make important contacts that will help me advance my course in future.
I would like the opportunity to combine my experiences with the theoretical background available in the Environmental Applied Science and Management program at Ryerson University.

I have chosen to enroll in your university program because your institution is certified and recognized not only in Canada but in the world as a leading institution offering environmental courses. My desire to join your institution is also informed by the fact that your program combines scholarship, research, creativity, innovation and critical analysis. 

Additionally, your graduate programs provide excellent academic experience and include a high degree of interaction among faculty members and graduate students.

With the necessary expertise that I will gain from your program, I intend to raise awareness on environmental issues on national and international levels. As witnessed in the recently concluded Climate Change conference in Copenhagen, this phenomenon poses serious risks to the world particularly the developing countries yet enough measures have not been put in place to reverse this trend.   Even after the long awaited Copenhagen talks ended, the commitment of the developed world in combating this phenomenon remains is in doubt. Although the conference resolved to keep the maximum temperature rise to below 2 degrees Celsius USD 30 billion short-term funding for immediate action till 2012 and USD 100 billion annually by 2020 in long-term financing the challenge of translating these resolutions into legally binding agreement remains a challenge. The USA government stand on Kyoto protocol adduces evidence.

I look forward to joining your esteemed university.    

0 comments:

Post a Comment