Environmental Citizenship

Response 1. I cannot agree with the Gaia philosophy that the Earth is an alive organism comparable to any living thing. The theory that there is an entity made up of interconnected biological systems responsible for preserving the homeostasis and balance to keep the Earth habitable or conducive to life would suggest that all species exist consciously and interconnected for Gaia. It is a beautiful theory, but I do not believe an entity such as Gaia exists. Rather, species adapt or evolve independently but contribute unconsciously to the whole stability or balance of the ecosystem. Because of my bio-centric worldview, I find the notion that the Earth is a sentient being capable of intelligence quite difficult to accept. Although I believe that both living and nonliving things have intrinsic value, the idea of Gaia suggests that human needs should adapt to the environment. To me, nonliving things exist to serve as means for the survival and development of humans. However, I believe that human beings cannot afford to be careless with the environment and have a responsibility to protect the species. I think the environmental movement has greatly contributed to educating and raising the level of consciousness and respect for the Earth.

Response 2. Although the use of advanced technology such as the Famine Early Warning System Network (FEWS Net) can help in predicting drought that result to famine and consequently to hunger, illness, and mortality, this is not enough. I have experienced natural disasters such as hurricanes and earthquakes where I come from and I must say that technology, no matter how advanced, cannot prepare the people adequately for natures wrath. This is why I am rather cynical on the idea of technology to address such threats. Moreover, what I learn about hunger in most countries in the Third World point not merely to natural causes, but more because of man-made policies and actions such as economic sanctions, poor agriculture, and bad governance. People in poor nations go hungry because their subsistence agriculture economies produce food for export, and not for the consumption of their population. The rice, grain, and crops that they grow are sold cheaply to industrialized countries while the farmers go hungry. Human society is vulnerable to natural threats that are often unavoidable but it is even more vulnerable because of man-made phenomena and economic systems that lead to hunger, violence, and death.

0 comments:

Post a Comment